Amount of words in this article:
Free PLR article summary:
What I have discovered through my experience of marketing is, it’s all in how we define it. This article shows you how to give yourself permission to market YOUR way, have fun doing it!
definition of marketing
FREE PLR article body:
Copyright 2006 Marketing On The Playground (TM)
What I have discovered through my experience of marketing is, it’s all in how we define it. We can think of marketing the way most of us do which puts us in the box of making cold calls, knocking on doors, going to numerous networking groups, sending out mail, speaking, the list goes on and on of what we have known. The simple definition of marketing is: letting your audience know what you do. From this simple idea, it’s up to you how you want to market. You have complete freedom in “how”.
Here’s the bottom line!
No Marketing = No Clients = No Money = No Business!
You do get to Market YOUR WAY! You get to have FUN! and be extremely creative. In fact, give yourself permission to market YOUR WAY and change the formula above to:
Market YOUR Way = More Confidence = Attract more clients = A THRIVING BUSINESS!
Now, let’s change your definition and Guess What…your definition will be different from each businessperson you meet. We are all unique. We choose different business paths; wear different clothes; drive different cars; have different viewpoints—our marketing approach should be just as unique?
Here are 3 examples of “marketing” provided from entrepreneurs.
1. I didn’t like networking groups but thought I would try some out. My definition of a networking group is this: It had to fit with my values, it had to be fun, and the group had to come from a unique perspective. Most of them were about collecting as many cards as you can. I tried 4 groups and one fit perfectly. EwomenNetwork comes from “giving first” and they have a wonderful format that gave me permission to ask for what I wanted. It was very safe, very professional and very genuine. I’ve been a member for 3 years – it’s the only one I attend consistently.
2. I have a Web Design company and one of my passions is voyager canoeing. I began to utilize outdoor-related themes in our marketing messages and promotions. Most important, I decided that canoeing was also a great way to network. As a professional woman business owner and an experienced canoe guide, I developed a Ladies Voyageur Day. I hosted a group of entrepreneurial women on a guided canoe trip. The event was so successful it has become an annual sponsored event.
3. I had always found marketing to be a distasteful chore. I was diligent and had managed to stay busy as a consultant by networking and following up on leads, but it was an unpleasant duty, and I avoided it whenever possible. I think one of the best-kept secrets to becoming successful at marketing is first choosing to be of service to a group of people you truly care about. With my new mission in mind, all of a sudden, marketing became effortless.
The clients I wanted to serve were people I really cared about, I wanted to spend time with them. Instead of dreading networking events. I began looking forward to them as a place to meet new people I could help. Before, I had avoided business lunches finding them boring and awkward, but now I enjoy listening about new opportunities to be of service.
To summarize our 3 marketing definitions:
– Giving first, asking, “How can I help you forward your business, ”rather than saying, “What do you do.”
– Creating a marketing approach that doesn’t feel like marketing because I’m doing what I love…Voyager Canoeing
– Being a service to a group of people
OK, do you have a new perspective on the definition of marketing? What are your thoughts with the questions below?
1. What was your original definition of marketing and is it different now?
2. Did you give yourself permission before this class to think of marketing ideas outside of the box? If not, what permission will you give yourself now?
There is a marketer inside of all of us – it’s just a matter of identifying the true, authentic marketing person inside of YOU.